Employee Drug ScreeningEmployee Drug Screening can assist employers during the hiring process by eliminating unworthy candidates and reducing resources spent on hiring and training employees that pose a risk to their business. Employee Drug Testing can also help in keeping a company a drug-free workplace.
How your company is losing money by employing a drug abuser:
- The medical costs of an employee that uses drugs is 300% higher which increases insurance rates –(US Chamber of Commerce)
- Worker’s Comp claims are 5 times more likely to be filed by drug users – (US Dept of Labor)
- Roughly 30% - 50% of all Workers Comp claims are related to drug abuse in the work place – (US Dept of Labor)
- Drug Abuse/Addiction will likely cause an employee to only function at about 67% of his/her capacity – (National Institute on Drug Addiction)
- On average a drug abusing employee is 3 times more likely to be tardy to their shift and have an absentee rate of 30-35 days per year – (US Dept of Labor)
Quick HistoryThere were 2 main incidents that essentially began the “Drug Free Workplace Campaign”. The 1981 USS Nimitz crash and the 1987 Maryland train accident. Both resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, many injuries and many fatalities. After investigations of both incidents, it was found that drugs were a contributing factor in these deadly accidents, prompting new regulations for mandatory testing for federally regulated employers.
As the years went on, studies were conducted and found that drug abuse was an existing problem in the work place which prompted private employers to follow suit with the government in testing of their employees.
Cost played a huge factor in drug testing. Urine was easy to collect, transport, test, and cost efficient in drug detection at the time. Over the years though, many factors, including specimen alteration/dilution have come to steer testing in other directions.
What to Know NowWhen considering drug testing for new employees, for cause, or post accident, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Urine: Still the most cost efficient means of drug testing. Can detect most drugs up to 7 days prior. There are many ways that the specimen can be altered which may result in “un-true” results. Has ability to have instant results, but will still need to be reviewed by a certified lab.
- Saliva: Great for “on the spot” testing such as pre-employment, post accident or for cause. Can be done right in front of person without invading privacy. Very difficult to alter results. May only detect drug/alcohol for the last 24 hours.
- Hair: Will need to be collected by certified lab person(s). May detect presence of drug use from 7 days post use up to 90 days post use. Great for pre-employment. Not a good test for post accident or for cause. Most expensive form of drug testing. Almost impossible to alter specimen.
Getting StartedYour account can be activated within 20 minutes during business hours. Just click on this button to complete the Customer Service Agreement to get started.
Dealing with Perscrition Drug Use in the Workplace
Forms Needed for Employment Screening
- Completed Customer Service Agreement (NEW Customers ONLY)
- Criminal Reporting Policies Form
- Employer Certification Form
- Applicant Authorization Form fo be completed by your candidate
- California Addendum for customers in CA
Articles for Employers
- 10 Commonly Asked Questions About Employment Screening
- Employment Screening Adverse Action
- Know what employers CAN and CAN'T find out about applicants!
- The More You Know...Drug Testing
- Prescription Drug Use In The Workplace
- Differences between Federal and National Criminal Reports
- So-Called “Free” Background Screening
- How far back does a criminal record check go?
- How can I verify a candidate’s current or past income when employment verifications don’t release salary?
- How can you find previous addresses or counties without asking the applicant to write them down? The answer may be simpler than you think.
- Utilize Our Online Background Check Reports So You Can Better Protect Your Business!