How far back does a criminal record check go?When you are looking for a criminal record check for your employee, you may be curious as to how far back these searches go. The answer may be more complicated than you would think. The variables include mostly whether or not your criminal reports are outsourced to a consumer reporting agency, such as AAA Credit Screening, what position you are hiring for, and the employment state or county.
The background checks at AAA Credit Screening go back seven years. Why seven years? Most areas have time limits for how old of a criminal record a consumer reporting agency can report; this limit is usually between seven to ten years. Having a report that goes back seven years means that you will get a full understanding of the applicant’s relevant criminal history, while also complying with federal, state, and county guidelines for consumer protection.
Forms Needed for Employment Screening
- Completed Customer Service Agreement (NEW Customers ONLY)
- Criminal Reporting Policies Form
- Employer Certification Form
- Applicant Authorization Form fo be completed by your candidate
- California Addendum for customers in CA
Articles for Employers
- 10 Commonly Asked Questions About Employment Screening
- Employment Screening Adverse Action
- Know what employers CAN and CAN'T find out about applicants!
- The More You Know...Drug Testing
- Prescription Drug Use In The Workplace
- Differences between Federal and National Criminal Reports
- So-Called “Free” Background Screening
- How far back does a criminal record check go?
- How can I verify a candidate’s current or past income when employment verifications don’t release salary?
- How can you find previous addresses or counties without asking the applicant to write them down? The answer may be simpler than you think.
- Utilize Our Online Background Check Reports So You Can Better Protect Your Business!